Monday, October 10, 2011

Taking the Proverbs 31 Challenge

For the past couple of weeks I have been reading "My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife" by Sara Horn. It has made me laugh, cry, identify and wonder what kind of wife I am. Like all women, I have always been intimated by this "perfect" woman! I mean who can do all those things, at the same time and be happy and joyful and a blessing to her husband and family! I mean - cone on now. We are living in the 21st century.

My opinion slowy changed as I read this book. It caused me to take a hard look at myself and see where I fit into that mode. Is there even a space for me? Could I even have a bit of what this woman is?

Sara has recently offered weekly challenges to us - to help us become the women that God desires us to be. Right now we are on the 2nd weekly challange.

Our first challenge was - Show him love. She shared Romans 12:9 - 19 from the Message bible:

Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good. Be good friends who love deeply; practice playing second fiddle.

As much as I love Lars sometimes my selfish nature takes over. I want it to be all about me! And in thinking that way, I forget the gift that God gave me in my husband. So our challenge was to show him love. Put him first, practice playing second fiddle and show him love. Keep track and be ready to share.

At the end of the week I learned a lot about putting Lars first. This is my response posted on Sara's blog after that week.

It started out good but I had to bite my tongue and show love when he started snoring! Normally he does not but with the weather change he has started. Asked him to put another pillow under him but he said that hurt his neck. Before I would say well you need to do something because I need my sleep. This time I kissed him, said it was okay and rolled over praying I would fall asleep. We have had a busy week as well. The rule of thumb is if you cook dinner you don’t have to do dishes. Tuesday we were watching our favorite “Biggest Loser” and he was missing out. So I went in and helped in so we could watch together. He told me he appreciated that.

It is still a process. I love him but sometimes I get so busy and distracted, I don’t take the time to show him love. Need to find new ways to show him that I love and appreciate him.


Yeaterday we received our 2nd challenge - Do the small things.
“The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’ – Matthew 25:23

Our challenge is to pay attention to the small things. Like the clutter on our dresser, or our disorganized towels or picking up before bed. This morning I put into practice that very thing. Normally my morning befor work is eating breakfast, showering and catching up on email and Facebook. I tend to leave things a little messy knowing I will get to them that night. But this morning I took about 10 minutes and cleaned off the dining room table. It did not take too long and it really made a differece! I actually felt like I accomplished something. I am so looking forward to what the end of the week will bring with these challenge.

I encourage all to check out Sara at her website. Who knows? Maybe God has something for you to learn as well.

http://www.myproverbs31life.com/



Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment