Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Joys of Reading

I picked up the July/August copy of "Bliss Victoria", one of my favorite magazines. As I started reading I noticed The Reader to Reader column. The question posed to them was "Is there a certain book that played a significant role in your life?"

As I read the responses, I started thinking of all the books that I have read over the years. First and foremost, reading is my favorite of all hobbies. I devour books. Whether it was trips to the library every week as a child, to spending hours at Barnes and Noble or Borders looking for old favorites and new authors to read now as an adult.

Of course books like Charlotte's Web, The Boxcar Children and the Betsy series were favorites as a young girl. In 3rd grade I read Gone With The Wind for the first time, armed with a dictionary! Then it was the Little House series. Reading about the adventures of Laura and her family made me want a simpler time. Even today as an adult, I re-read those books. I also was a fan of Nancy Drew Mysteries. How cool Nancy was with her blue convertible, fashionable wardrobe and her ability to solve mysteries!

My most favorite book is Little Women. I have read that book so many times. The troubles and joys the March sisters had always stirred my heart. And when I read it again after becoming a Christian, I understood more and more of the values and life principles Louisa May Alcott wove into the story.

I also have fond memories of The All of a Kind Family series. Stories about a big Jewish family in NYC during the 1900's. And who could forgot the Double Date, Double Wedding series. Or a Date for Diane and Tojours Diane. I could spend hours recalling my favorite childhood and teen year books. In fact I have slowly been buying them for my own library. I shared all my favorites with my daughters as I read to them and even my oldest now has her own Betsy series.

As I got older I discovered new authors like Brock and Bodie Thoene, Anya Seyton ( love her books Katherine and Green Darkness) Stephen King, Nora Roberts and so many others. I have read my North and South Trilogy so many times the books are falling apart. Then Steve Berry, James Patterson, Ken Foeltt. I could spend days sharing about my favorite writes and books that touched me in some way.

I am saddened how reading has become a thing of the past for so many people today. I have been to so many places, so many different eras and have so many friends in the books I have read. My friend La Homa got me a night shirt for Christmas that says "So many books, so little time" with a stack of books underneath. That is so true!

Then I think about all the wisdom and joy I get from reading my Bible. And the Christian writers for both fiction and non fiction. Rick Warren's - A Purpose Driven Life! The Left Behind series by Tim La Haye and Jerry Jenkins. Even with this group of books I could go on forever.

I am thankful my girls share my love of reading. That love was passed down to me by my mother. And I hope my children will pass that love to my grandchildren. I feel sorry for those of you who claim to hate reading. You have no idea of how reading can enrich your lives. I encourage you to pick up a book. Try something that interests you. There are so many genres and so many topics.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment